Friday, February 12, 2010

Teacher or Disciple?

One of the big pushes that got me to do the pregnancy yoga teacher's training was when I read something about Yogi Bhajan and how he was committed to training spiritual teachers, not just gathering disciples. It is similar to the "every member a missionary" concept. I think sometimes we forget how different we are in this regard from other faiths. At most churches there are special people in special clothes that lead the services in special words not understood by everyone. Many churches are defined by their leader. Our services and classes are taught by us, the congregation. We are all teachers. We are disciples of Christ, but to be a disciple of Christ is to share his spiritual teachings.

Another reason I knew I needed to do it was because I know the truth of this saying: "if you want to master something, teach it."

How many times have you heard people say from the pulpit, "I learned more in preparing for this talk...." Or how many times has your testimony been strengthened by speaking it out loud. In his book, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen Covey asks readers to read with the perspective of having to teach it to three people the next day. Reading in this way, helps retention and understanding.

So, I would invite anyone who wants to learn more about conscious birthing, or who has lots of wisdom already, but is keeping their mouth shut, to open it. Don't be afraid to share your positive birth stories or your belief in a divinely designed female body. I challenge everyone reading this blog (and soon, the book) to teach your friends and family members, neighbors, or co-workers something you have learned within 24 hours of having learned it.

If you have no one to tell but your children, that's perfect. They are next generation.


Post script about yoga:

I forgot to mention, If you are looking for a Khalsa Way pregnancy yoga teacher in your area, email me and I may have some contacts for you. The women who come to these teacher's trainings come from all over the world and then take the practice back to their home towns. There should be a website somewhere to help you find a teacher, but there isn't yet. So for now, let me know and I'll hook you up if I can.

And if you are interested in doing the training, I highly recommend it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails