Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Mirror Fast


This morning I realized a little bit late that it was fast Sunday. I'm not sure how I forgot when for a week I had been sending reminder emails to my collaborators to fast for our book.

I decided it was not too late. Since most of the ladies working with me are pregnant or nursing and wouldn't be doing a traditional food fast either, I decided I should fast something else. I thought about fasting my computer or my phone, but I needed to coordinate some things and the phone was necessary. I contemplated all this as I was putting on lipstick. Then I had a random thought pop into my mind. Maybe you should fast looking in the mirror.

Hmm. I wondered if God was trying to tell me I was vain. I have to admit, I do love to admire myself--mainly because the human body is amazing to me and I like mine. But I decided that a little more humility was probably a good thing, so I finished my lipstick and hoped it didn't come off for the rest of the day because I was going to fast looking in the mirror.

It was the strangest experience. I know that some days go by where I don't look in a mirror all day, but when trying to consciously avoid them, I seemed to catch my reflection everywhere--and catch myself looking at it. This conscious shift in awareness about my image, didn't register until on my way to church when I caught half my eye in the rearview. Then I remembered my morning scripture study. Early this morning, I had read Alma 5: 14 "Have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have you experienced this mighty change of heart?"

My image in the mirror suddenly took on a whole new meaning. And I realized I didn't need a mirror to answer that. I could close my eyes and see myself as Christ saw me. At church everyone told me I looked gorgeous. Personally, I think I always look good, but this week everyone seemed to notice. And interestingly, I noticed how great everyone else looked today. True, it was a gorgeous day--but those aren't uncommon here in Los Angeles. It think I just saw Christ in their countenances as well. Especially my little girl. She was radiant.

I love how God continues to teach me in unexpected ways. What I thought was about vanity, was really about the beauty that comes from being spiritually born on God.

3 comments:

  1. So cool. I love the different ways we can fast. I get low blood sugar, so have to eat some protein - especially with a calling in Primary. It would be a BAD thing if the Primary Chorister was yelling at the kids. So on Fast Sunday I try to fast from any yummy foods - chocolate - even having a plain turkey sandwich with no avacados on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I have bloodsugar issues, too. But oddly, when I fast (and pray), I can handle it--usually--IF I don't have to prepare food for small children. If Phoebe is away, I have a much easier time fasting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails